BWCA -QRP with KX1
Kilo Parks Award
May 14th Fox Hunt! What Fun!
N0GRM – Home Shack
Split Rock Lighthouse 2012
Fitzgerald Crew 2011
SARA Work Party 3
2014 SARA Officers
OXB Counterpoise – Dayton or Bust!
SARA Work Party 1

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Sept 13, 2018

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – September 13, 2018

Stillwater Amateur Radio Association

1618 Pine Street West

Stillwater, Minnesota 55082

Roll Call of Officers – All present with the exception of: Bob WØGAF was teaching General License class, Collin KEØIYN was sick, and Bill KDØOTB was traveling.

President: Joe KCØOIO

The meeting was called to order at 6:01 PM.

Secretary’s Report Steve KAØOBI standing in for Collin KEØIYN

Minutes from the Board Meeting on March 15th, 2018 have been posted on the website.  No additional comments from the group.

Treasurer’s Report – Rich ADØSN

Beginning Balance      08/31/2018                 $2,880.03

Income                                                               $222.40

Expenses                                                             $116.30

Ending Balance           09/13/2018                 $2,986.13 (Not including RBP income/expenses)

$17,149.40 (Including RBP income/expenses)

Reports of Committees:

Activities & Events:  Dave WØOXB

Split Rock – the event will be held Nov 2nd – 4th, 2018.  Dave will be sending a details letter to the regulars who participated last year.  Some newbies have already indicated they will be attending this year.   Since the Northern Lights Roadhouse has closed after a fire in June; we will move our Friday night Fish Fry to the Northwoods Café.  Dave has already made reservations for the private dining room that we have used in the past for breakfast.

Radios in the Park – We were extremely lucky this summer to have six nights with almost no rain.  Everyone is agreed we will continue with this activity next year.  The antenna shootout was a lot of fun and very enlightening to everyone involved.

MAP:  Dave WØOXB

There are several projects that Dave will try to complete prior to him leaving for Washington on October 8th.  The projects include a new antenna for Holly at her Arden Hills QTH, Zach needs an adjustment on his existing antenna, and there is a community antenna planned for Hazelwood Park just off Beam Avenue in Maplewood.

Meetings & Programs – Joe KCØOIO

September – Paul Bittner WØAIH gave a terrific presentation on his Multi-Multi Contest Station.

October – System Fusion – Chris K9EQ – there may be door prizes at this one.

November – What’s with this FT-8? – Joe KCØOIO

December – Electronic Keyers – John W9LHG

January – S.W.E.E.P.

February – Operating Roundtable

March – Baluns, Ununs, and Chokes – Dave WØOXB

April – To be determined

May – To be determined

Future Ideas:  Special interest clubs, SKCC (Straight Key Century Club), County Hunters, QCWA (Quarter Century Wireless Assoc.), 070, OMISS (Old Man International Sideband Society), YLRL (Young Ladies Radio League), Diagnostic tools – analyzers, DMMs, and other gizmos, Propagation-Can I get there from here?, Station grounding, Tuners-Manual vs. Automatic and Care & Feeding, Setting Up Your Shack, New Technicians – Here’s what you can do now.

Room/Park Reservations – John N5JLZ

John has done a great job of navigating through the myriad of rooms and parks reservations that we have needed.  Some noteworthy dates include: VE testing at Boutwells Landing Auditorium B on Nov 8th at 6 PM and the Nov 8th Eyeball meeting at 6 PM is moved to the Lake Elmo Library.

Eyeball Sessions – Tech Nights

Sept 27-           RF Safety Analysis

Oct 4 –             QST – discussion related to an article or column

Oct 25-                        Using toroids to reduce noise and RFI – common mode chokes

Future ideas – SWR Bridge calibration (KØGW); DX Labs Suite, Logger 32 & N1MM (NØODK)

Education & Training – Bob WØGAF

General Class License Course – Started Sept 13th and will end November 1st.

Extra Class Study Group – Two members participated on the first night – Sept 13th.

VE Team – Shel NØDRX

The VE session will take place November 8th at 6 PM at Boutwells Landing Auditorium B.

Newsletter & Website – Pat WAØTDA & Dave WØOXB

The September deadline for the next issue is Sept 29.  It should be posted on Oct 6th.  The last issue was over 16 pages and chock full of good articles.

Repeater – Henry KØHAS & Shel NØDRX

Dave WØOXB is now fully credentialed for site access and has a cabinet key.

Doug commented that with the new System Fusion upgrade that the audio quality is better and the receiver is more sensitive.  He suggested that we consider switching our existing antenna with a Hustler 144B since it would have the same gain as our existing antenna.  The current antenna is very old and may soon suffer issues from long term flexing of connections.

The APRS Digipeater will be tested just prior to installation at the stack.

Remote Bases Technical Committee

All committee members – Pat WAØTDA, Keith AGØH, Eliot KDØOTB, Bill NØCIC, and Henry KØHAS.

Both remote stations are currently operating OK.  Joe might have a new location in Luck, MN for an additional remote base or it can possibly serve as a location move for an existing remote base.

Builders Group

The group will be researching any possible new kits to be considered for Fall & Winter months.

Unfinished Business

The equipment trailer has some unfinished items that should be completed prior to Split Rock.  Red lighting installed near the operating station would help eliminate the bright white light glare currently experienced.  A lug wrench has been gifted to the trailer but we still need to procure a spare tire and jack.

Dick NØUC donated a propane-fired catalytic heater from his retired CommVan 1 which needs to be installed in a location where it doesn’t get too hot at the operating desk.  A work day should be planned for this and the other additions to the trailer.

SARA is now holding a Will-Burt push-up (optional air assist) mast with drive-on base on behalf of the Washington County ARES and SEMARC.  It is being stored in the trailer.  We need to construct a PVC pipe bed for it to be stored in and attach it to a top shelf in the trailer.

We need a volunteer with a pickup truck to drive the trailer to/from Split Rock in November.  Everyone agreed that SARA should reimburse that individual for all their gas expense.

Equipment inventory – update from Collin – there is nothing to report at this time.  In reviewing the regulations for a 501C3 it appears we already have most everything in place to accept equipment donations so they can be written off.

Acquisition of a new Yaesu FTM-400DR radio was approved by the general membership at the September 8th meeting.

New Business

The AGM batteries that serve as repeater backup are over 8 years old and need replacing.  We would need to buy two new ones.  Joe will research the cost and report back to us at the next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:59 PM.